[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Problem building 2.3a1 on OSX & suggestions

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pitt.edu
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 15:21:29 -0500

on 1/2/03 11:46 AM, James Harrison at jhrsn+@pitt.edu wrote:

> However, make frameworkinstall seemed to have some problems:

> /usr/bin/install: chmod 755 /Library/Frameworks/../../usr/local/bin:
> Operation not permitted
> ln -fs
> /Library/Frameworks/../../Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/b
> in/python /Library/Frameworks/../../usr/local/bin/python
> ln: /Library/Frameworks/../../usr/local/bin/python: Permission denied
> make[1]: *** [installunixtools] Error 1
> make: *** [frameworkinstallunixtools] Error 2
>
> The unix tools do not appear to have installed in /usr/local/bin. There is a
> MacPython-2.3 folder in /Applications, but it contains only BuildApplet and
> PythonLauncher. PythonLauncher appears to work.

Sorry for the false alarm. Python apparently builds at least mostly
correctly even though the errors above are reported, and the unix tools
(python and pythonw) do appear in /usr/local/bin.

Here are some comments/suggestions that I hope will be useful to others just
getting started with 2.3:

1. Though it is in the README file if you look around, it may not be obvious
to some that IDLE and the PythonIDE will not build with the 2.3a1
distribution unless you add Tkinter/AquaTk and Waste separately. This is
easy:

Get Waste 2.1b1 from http://www.merzwaren.com/bin/waste/waste-21b1.sit and
unstuff it. This yields a disk image (.dmg). Make a folder inside the main
Python-2.3a1 folder named 'waste' and copy the contents of the disk image
into it. This allows building the PythonIDE.

Get TclTkAqua-8.4.1-Jaguar.dmg (for Jaguar) from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894&release_id=11786
8 and run the installer. This allows building IDLE and other TkInter apps.

Do both of the above (assuming you want to build both IDEs) before building
Python.

2. Do a framework build according to the instructions in
Python-2.3a1/Mac/OSX/README.

3. This should work, yielding both IDEs in the /Applications/MacPython
folder, though if you're like me (10.2.3, Tibook), you might get a couple of
errors at the end of the process. I don't yet know the significance of this.

4. IDLE doesn't look so good at first. I recommend editing its configuration
files, which are inside IDLE (IDLE.app, actually). I used BBEdit's "Open
Hidden" feature to open the IDLE/Contents/Resources/idlelib/ directory and
edit config-unix.txt to change the font from Courier to ProFont and change
the font size; and config.txt to change the default window size. I don't
think the config-mac.txt file does anything in OSX. These edits make IDLE a
bit more usable.

Now if we could only do something about the ugly black "active text box"
rectangle that surrounds the text editing areas in IDLE.

Jim Harrison
Univ. of Pittsburgh.