[Pythonmac-SIG] Development Matrix (or "sometimes there's just too many choices...")

Bob Ippolito bob@redivi.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:18:18 -0500

On Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003, at 17:34 America/New_York, Chris Barker
wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 05:29 PM, W.T. Bridgman wrote:
>
>> I've explored what's on the Mac sites and (casually) follow this
>> group traffic and now find myself wondering just what combinations of
>> python (MacPython, Unix Python), window environments (X11, Aqua, and
>> now Apple X11) and GUIs (Tkinter, wxPython) play well together
>> (twelve possible combinations?  which are not viable?).  Then there's
>> the installation options - standard Unix (/usr/local/), Framework,
>> and Fink bringing the count up to 36.  I assume that the merging of
>> MacPython and Unix Python (still on for v2.3?) will drop this count
>> by half.
>
> And the count should drop a lot more as things settle down. As I
> understand it, when Python 2.3 is out, we should have ONE python for
> OS-X that can do it all: unix scripting, Carbon development, cocoa
> development, etc. Then there won't be a need for all those different
> versions, and we can all focus on getting all the extensions we want
> to work right. wxPython and aquaTK are in progress, and there are
> plenty of other folks that want PIL, Numeric, NumArray, mxTools, VTK,
> PyOpenGL, SciPy, etc, etc. to work. Jack is even putting together a
> binary package system so that these can all be easy to install.
>
> If you are working on something that doesn't have to be production
> quality for another 5 months or so, I'd go with 2.3a, and work on
> getting the pieces you want working. You'll have help from this group.

If anyone really needs PIL, Numeric, NumArray, mxTools, PyOpenGL,
pygame, Carbon, IDLE, tkinter, etc. I have those compiled/backported
and working with the stock 2.2.. I can package that up at some point if
there's a need.  It's all going to break when apple updates their
python though.

I'm sure VTK and SciPy would port as well, I just don't use those yet.

-bob