[Pythonmac-SIG] updating command line python

bbum@mac.com bbum@mac.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:47:04 -0500

On Sunday, Feb 16, 2003, at 17:32 US/Eastern, Jack Jansen wrote:
> On zondag, feb 16, 2003, at 20:49 Europe/Amsterdam, bbum@mac.com wrote:
>> In any case, I dropped readline and pyssl modules for Apple's python
>> here:
>>
>>     http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/software/
>>
>> I have heard rumors that readline no longer builds on December Dev
>> tools equipped 10.2 boxes
>
> Don't know about any problems with december devtools, but your
> readline doesn't build with 2.3. I'm not sure whether it's supposed
> to, but anyway it doesn't because the signature of
> PyOS_ReadlineFunctionPointer is different. readline.c has

It isn't, but thank you.   The sole purpose for the readline module was
to be able to add readline support to Apple's [rather lacking] build of
Python 2.2 that shipped with OS X.   For any 'normal' Python build, I
would think readline would "just work"?

Huh.  On second thought -- I suppose it requires that readline be built
and available on the target system before building Python.

Then again, the only person that should find my readline module useful
are those that are trying to use readline support after installing a
binary version of python that doesn't have readline support compiled
in.   If that is the case, then I'll punt -- the distributed builds of
Python 2.3 should have readline installed, if built properly, correct?

b.bum