[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC Article at O'Reilly

Ronald Oussoren oussoren@cistron.nl
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:40:21 +0100

On Friday, Feb 7, 2003, at 20:05 Europe/Amsterdam, Pascal Oberndoerfer
wrote:

> Bill Bumgarner at bbum@codefab.com:
>
>>> http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/01/31/pyobjc_one.html
>

> I tried to install PyObjC from the sources for MacOS X 10.1.5 via the
> usual
> "python setup.py install". Unfortunately this failed with the following
> error message:
>
>> Modules/objc/register.m:12: warning: function declaration isn't a
>> prototype
>> Modules/objc/register.m: In function `meth_imp_679':
>> Modules/objc/register.m:55957: parse error before `const'
>> Modules/objc/register.m:55959: `errstr' undeclared (first use in this
>> function)
>> Modules/objc/register.m:55959: (Each undeclared identifier is
>> reported only
>> once
>> Modules/objc/register.m:55959: for each function it appears in.)
>> Modules/objc/register.m: In function `ObjC_RegisterStdStubs':
>> Modules/objc/register.m:56720: warning: passing arg 2 of pointer to
>> function
>> from incompatible pointer type
>> error: command 'cc' failed with exit status 1

That's not the way it's supposed to fail on 10.1.5... We don't really
support 10.1.x at the moment. I didn't know about the problem your
seeing, but later on in the build it will fail again when trying to
compile the wrappers for global functions, 10.2 contains a number of
functions that are not present on 10.1.5.

I'm afraid that support for 10.1.x will stay absent until someone
volunteers to do the port. Luckily that shouldn't be too hard.

You also try to use the latest version from CVS, this uses libffi
(downloadable from our files section of SF) instead of the contents of
file that's failing for you.

Ronald