[Pythonmac-SIG] package manager breaks mac help

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Dec 1 04:36:35 EST 2003

Has anyone else seen Apple Help being broken after installing the
Python documentation? This is the first report I've had of it, and I
need a bit more to debug this.

On 29 Nov 2003, at 20:24, Samuel M. Smith wrote:

> Where does the help file for the python reference documentation  get
> put? (as installed by the package manager)
>
> After trashing my everything in
> my ~user/library/com.apple.helpui folder. the python reference now
> shows up if i search all help.

Apple Help is a bit weird. The help books are usually located inside
applications, and are registered automatically for Cocoa programs but
not for Carbon programs.

The "MacPython Help" help book is located inside the help application
"Python.app", deep down in Python.framework. On Jaguar that is also
where the downloaded "Python Documentation" is, but on Panther it is
inside PythonIDE.app.
It doesn't get added to the help database until you run the IDE for the
first time, though, as that is what registers the help book.

--
Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>        http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
Goldman