[Pythonmac-SIG] Wanted: proofreader for www.python.orgMacinformation

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 11 15:29:11 EDT 2003

Kevin Altis wrote:

> I wonder if the name MacPython just confuses the issue. Its just Python,
> right? I have a couple of Mac OS X using friends that I have been pushing
> towards Python and the name difference has confused them, at least a bit.

I agree. And I still dont understand why the installer isn't available
directly from python.org, just like the Windows one.

> In the docs, the Mac stuff is put in its own section
>
>   http://www.python.org/doc/current/mac/mac.html
>
> rather than
>
>   http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/lib.html

That's because there is a LOT more stuff there. It's more like the Win32
modules, which are not documented in the standard library docs.

> Since Unix, Windows, SunOS, and SGI IRIX aren't separated, it seems strange
> to single out the Mac and force people to look in a different spot.

there is very little OS specific stuff in the standard lib docs.

By the way, those docs are pretty out of date. It would be great if we
could put the collective effort in to update them. I coordinated some
effort the last go around. I'd be glad to do it again...if some others
step up to do various parts.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov