[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython for Panther (was: Re: MacPython 2.3 docs are handy!)

Lance E Sloan lsloan at umich.edu
Mon Aug 11 10:30:44 EDT 2003

--On Friday, August 8, 2003 20:43 +0200 Ronald Oussoren
<oussoren at cistron.nl> wrote:
> Apple doesn't include the GUI frontends (e.g. the IDE and Package
> Manager). IIRC Jack already stated that he wants to do a MacPython for
> Panther that contains only the bits that are not included by Apple.

I hope that future versions of MacPython, released with Panther in mind,
will be available as both "tools only" and "kitchen sink" packages.  I
think most developers will need only the "tools only" package.  There might
be some that would want the "kitchen sink" package that includes the Python
interpreter and supporting files that Apple would normally include with
Panther.  For exmaple, to get a newer (or older) version, or to fix a
broken installation.

I agree with Mr. Berkowitz' desire to make as few changes to his
development system as possible, in order to keep it similar to that of
users of his software.  I hope that the MacPython releases will eventually
be needed by developers only.  I wonder, though, if developers use the
Package Manager to install packages for use in their software, how will
end-users of that software install those packages?

--
Lance E Sloan
U-M WATS: Web Applications, Technologies, and Solutions