[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble with MacPython 2.3 on 10.2.6 (Solved!)

Adam Augustine adama at augustinefam.org
Wed Aug 6 19:01:28 EDT 2003

Jack Jansen wrote:

> I'm going to reply only to the relevant parts here, and there's more
> homework for
> Adam:-)
>
> On woensdag, 6 augustus 2003, at 20:01PM, Adam Augustine wrote:
>

> Ok, next step is to try running the applets from the Terminal command
> line. Try running
> % Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/PythonIDE
> and tell us whether that gives you a working IDE.

Tah-dah! Running
/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/PythonIDE from
the command line resulted in a "Command not found" error. This, of
course was a big surprise since the command was clearly there. I did a
"head PythonIDE" and lo and behold, there it was:

#!/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app
/Contents/MacOS/python

Doing an ls -lsa on that directory gives:

  2 drwxrwxr-x  3 g3    admin  1024 Aug  6 17:07 .
  2 drwxrwxr-x  4 g3    admin  1024 Aug  6 08:40 ..
20 -rwxrwxr-x  1 g3    admin  9608 Jul 30 03:47 Python
  2 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  admin  1024 Aug  6 17:07 Scripts

> Also, are there any things you have in your setup that are non-standard,
> such as using a third-party Finder, or having replaced the standard
> shell or something like that?

Nope.

> Oh yes, do you have anything strange (or, actually, anything at all) in
> your .MacOSX/Environment.plist file?

Can't even find a directory named .MacOSX and only one file named
Environment.plist and it is in a subdirectory of
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework.

> Are you running this as the same user ID as the one you installed with?
> Does it have admin privileges?

Yes, and yes.

So I have done an "ln -s Python python" and now everything seems to be
working properly.

Seems there was some oddness with the case of the executable name. What
is the difference between:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python*

and

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app
/Contents/MacOS/Python ?

The byte counts are slightly different...

Anyway, thanks for the help. I am putting some search terms for the
benefit of those who come later since most of the initial error messages
are now edited out of the message.

execle returned, err=22 console error message PythonIDE PackageManager
BuildApplet

Thanks,
	Adam Augustine