[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only - MacPython-OSX binary distribution

Daniel daniel_t@earthlink.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:11:05 -0400

--Apple-Mail-2-314621534
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

The PythonIDE fails for me. Here is the traceback from the console:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/Resources/
PythonIDE.py", line 51, in ?
     import PythonIDEMain
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/
PythonIDEMain.py", line 468, in ?
     PythonIDE()
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/
PythonIDEMain.py", line 36, in __init__
     Wapplication.Application.__init__(self, 'Pide')
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/
Wapplication.py", line 28, in __init__
     FrameWork.Application.__init__(self)
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/plat-
mac/FrameWork.py", line 115, in __init__
     self.makemenubar()
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/
Wapplication.py", line 269, in makemenubar
     self.makeusermenus()
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/
PythonIDEMain.py", line 145, in makeusermenus
     os.mkdir(path)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Scripts'

Note, I'm running a multiuser system. Apparently, the IDE is trying to
access/create a directory at the root level which isn't allowed by a
non-admin user. Possibly this directory should be created by the
installer?

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> a MacPython-OSX 2.3b1 binary distribution is available at
> <http://www.cwi.nl/ftp/jack/python/mac/MacPython-OSX-2.3b1-1.dmg>.
>
> This is the first time I've tried to build such an installer, the
> tools I used are based on the work from Robin Dunn and the wxPython
> folks. Please give it a try and let me know whether it works, so I can
> announce it more widely later. This will take a while, though,
> probably a week or so, because I first want to update the packages
> that can be installed with Package Manager.
> --
> - Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>
> http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
> - If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma
> Goldman -

--Apple-Mail-2-314621534

The PythonIDE fails for me. Here is the traceback from the console:

<fixed>Traceback (most recent call last):

  File
"/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/Resources/PythonIDE.py",
line 51, in ?

    import PythonIDEMain

  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/PythonIDEMain.py",
line 468, in ?

    PythonIDE()

  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/PythonIDEMain.py",
line 36, in __init__

    Wapplication.Application.__init__(self, 'Pide')

  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/Wapplication.py",
line 28, in __init__

    FrameWork.Application.__init__(self)

  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/plat-mac/FrameWork.py",
line 115, in __init__

    self.makemenubar()

  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/Wapplication.py",
line 269, in makemenubar

    self.makeusermenus()

  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/PythonIDEMain.py",
line 145, in makeusermenus

    os.mkdir(path)

OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Scripts'

</fixed>