[Pythonmac-SIG] Communicating With Apple

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:14:45 +0200

On communicating with Apple: start with sending your
notes/requests/questions
here. There is a good chance that they'll be picked up. If you have a
real bug:
file it into Apple's bug reporter. This has been done for the -arch 386
bug
and the missing dynamic libraries.

On the version Apple includes in Panther: the big issue here is timing.
As far as I can tell (from what happened with Jaguar and Python 2.2)
there is
a fairly early freeze for non-essential non-apple components (and Python
falls into this category). Expect Panther to contain the Python that was
current about half a year before Panther goes final (note: the "half
a year" is purely guesswork, but that's the ballpark). That probably
means that it will be 2.2.2:-(

On the other issues Bob raised:
- readline is always going to be a problem, because of it's GPL license.
Check the archives for details.
- the flat namespace cannot be fixed in the 2.2.X family because some
extension packages rely on it, and micro-releases may never break
existing
code. Again, more details in the archives.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -