[Pythonmac-SIG] sys.path for MacPython 2.3 - next set of questions

Paul Berkowitz berkowit@silcom.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:11:21 -0700

May I make a request as a new Python scripter? I'm probably coming from a
very different place than almost everyone here who has been pioneering
Python on the Mac since early days. It's natural that you are at ease with
multiple Python installations and always wanting the capability of using the
latest and best alpha, beta and release versions of Python.

What _I_ want is a default Python installation in the next and subsequent OS
versions (OS 10.3, 10.4, etc) that is optimized as far as possible. I
_never_, _ever_ will ask my users to install other builds of Python. They
will not do it. I want the OS-installed version of Python to be the best and
latest release version at the time of OS release.

For that to happen, you have to make the directory locations the ones that
_Apple_ wants. Surely picking locations analogous to what they do with their
mainstream programs like Perl is going to achieve that end. At the very
least make them local-, not user-based. Just give yourselves an opportunity
to install local-based installations for your beta and advanced work. But
please make the standard installation one that can be picked up by Apple
immediately after a new Python release without any fuss or bother.

The only way Python will receive the widespread adoption it deserves is if
good, recent versions become part of the standard OS install.

If this is all beside the point, I apologize. I'm too new to Python to have
any understanding of the specifics here, but am dimly aware that it may
affect the OS adoption issue. Just ignore this if it's irrelevant.

--
Paul Berkowitz