[Pythonmac-SIG] What should be on sys.path for MacPython 2.3

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:36:34 +0200

On zaterdag, apr 12, 2003, at 20:28 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Lownds wrote:
> ~/Library/Python is shorter, and there are no spaces in the path. I
> like the idea of having a spot for more stuff, but I also think it is
> more intuitive for ~/Library/Python/ to be in sys.path directly.
> Directories with other purposes under ~/Library/Python won't be put
> on the path unless there is an __init__.py file so I think it might
> make sense NOT to append site-packages or site-python.

Hmm, hmm, you have a point here (the nice and short name), but I'm not
convinced yet that stuffing other directories in here is a good idea.
Also, we have the version number problem, so it should at the very least
be ~/Library/Python/2.3/.

> As a user I think I'd prefer distutils to install in /Library/Python/
> when possible. This way it is available to CGI programs and other
> users without any hassle.

Are you suggesting getting rid of site-packages on sys.path altogether?
Wouldn't that confuse unix-Python old-hands?

> It would seem to be most conforming to the platform standard if the
> order matches the framework search order:
>
> ~/Library/Python, /Library/Python, /Network/Library/Python,
> /System/Library/Python

I don't want to put /System/Library/Python there, I think it's a case
of over-generality.
But the other three: yes, I think that would be a good idea.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -