[Pythonmac-SIG] accessing .xsl files

Paul Berkowitz berkowit@silcom.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:51:20 -0700

On 4/10/03 9:20 AM, "Edd Thompson" <euphoriadj@adamswells.com> wrote:

> I need to get data from an excel file manipulate it and either create
> two new excel files or probably more easily create an html table.  Is a
> library, module or best yet a tutorial on extracting data from an xls?
>
> And to make things worse I will be coding this on OS X  but it  will
> eventually be running
>   on a windows NT system.

You should extract your data from the Excel file either by AppleScript or
Visual Basic. If you're going to be running it on Windows then use VBA,
which will be same on both if you code it in OS X. (VBA Mac is VBA 5.0
whereas the current Office VBA on Windows in VBA 6.0. Whatever works on the
Mac will work on Windows, but occasionally not vice-versa.) You can account
for different types of file paths on the two systems within VBA.

--
Paul Berkowitz