[Pythonmac-SIG] Building wxPython

Jed Burgess jburgess@cs.stanford.edu
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:13:19 -0700

I have successfully built wxWindows (can run demos) and am trying to
complete my installation of wxPython (on 10.1.5).  I had been trying to
run the demo using python (didn't realize I should be using pythonw)
and I was getting the behavior described in this message from July
(http://lists.wxwindows.org/pipermail/wxpython-mac/2002-July/
000361.html) whereby Python hung and would not respond.  The import
would succeed, but it hung when it got to app.MainLoop().  The only
output I get is:

	19:48:12: Debug: /usr/local/lib/libwx_macd-2.3.rsrc

When I run the demo using pythonw, the app launches, but the import
fails.

	original argc=2
	original argv[0] = "/Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python"
	original argv[1] = "demo/demo.py"
	modified argc=2
	modified argv[0] = "/Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python"
	modified argv[1] = "demo/demo.py"
	Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "demo/demo.py", line 3, in ?
	    import Main
	  File "demo/Main.py", line 15, in ?
	    from   wxPython.wx import *
	  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/lib/python2.2/site-
pac
	kages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
	    import wxc
	ImportError: Failure linking new module

Does anyone know why python would be able to import wxPython.wx, but
pythonw would not?  They seem to be looking in different places, but I
don't know how to get pythonw to look in the proper place (or
alternatively to get the stuff the belongs in that different place
there).

Thank you for any help you can give.

Jed