[Pythonmac-SIG] building pil jpeg has no symbols

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:43:17 +0200

Calvin wrote:

> I have IJG jpeg installed in /usr/local but no matter what I do, I cannot
> get it to be recognized when I ./configure, make in libImaging.  the
> configure just zooms by the config lines for JpegEncode, JpegDecode and
> then it fails to build the jpeg bits on make.
>
> I can install and import PIL, but it has no jpeg, which is a problem doing
> thumbnails and the like on webpages.
>
> If anyone has ANY ideas on what to try, please let me know.  I've fiddled
> with configure and Makefile options and nothing seems to work.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

I think I needed to fiddle with libImaging/ImConfig.h manually. Check whether it
contains the following lines (and not #undef for HAVE_LIBJPEG):

/* Define if you have the IJG jpeg library (-ljpeg).  */
#define HAVE_LIBJPEG 1

Just