[Pythonmac-SIG] Help: fink python broken after 10.2 upgrade

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:35:33 -0700

Culling everything I've been able to find so far, it appears:
- fink will need updating for fink python to run on MacOS 10.2. That
is patently true of the binary. I'm not sure of the source. I tried
the fink source installation and got nowhere (some database it wanted
to install couldn't be installed), which is probably not a MacOS X
10.2 issue.

- Installing Python directly from the unix tarball and getting
readline and Tkinter support is a complicated process. In fact I'm
still hacking at it, but so far I found:

Dan Wolfe's Pythonmac-SIG message
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2002-September/006167.html>
gives clear instructions on installing gnu readlines, which must be
done before you install Python if you want readline support.

I decided to try the Aqua version of tcl/tk. I installed the binary
from <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894>
and tried to use Tony Lownds' instructions for building Python with
it from <http://tony.lownds.com/macosx/>. However, these instructions
are a bit old (they were clearly not written for the current Python
and MacOS 10.2) and they failed for me. The make returned the
following errors:
libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.2/Python -dynamic  libpython2.2.a \
         -framework System -lcc_dynamic -arch_only ppc -flat_namespace
-U _environ -framework CoreServices -framework Foundation
-install_name Python.framework/Versions/2.2/Python
-compatibility_version 2.2 -current_version 2.2
ld: Undefined symbols:
_TclFreeObj
_Tcl_AddErrorInfo
_Tcl_Alloc
_Tcl_CreateCommand
_Tcl_CreateFileHandler
_Tcl_CreateInterp

I suspect I can just install XonX's current xfree86 (which is rumored
to have been updated for MacOS 10.2) and then do the default build of
Python. That is certainly what I will try next on Monday (I'm getting
a cold and am going home early).

However, if anyone has already waded through this swamp and has
actual instructions for building Python with readlines and Tkinter
support, I would be very grateful for them.

-- Russell