[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG digest, Vol 1 #1203 - 10 msgs

kevin parks kp87@lycos.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:52:23 -0400

***
>  For the MacPython 2.3 [*] installer there are three
>  solutions, I think:
>  1. Slam our "python" and "pythonw" into /usr/bin,
>  overwriting
>  Apple's python.
>  2. Put our "python" and "pythonw" in /usr/local/bin,
>  and
>  (optionally?) modify ~/Library/Preferences/Environ (or
>  whereever
>  it was again).
>  3. Don't install the scripts at all initially, and
>  provide a way
>  to install them later.
>
>  I think 1 is out, really. Anyone disagree?
***

But then the user ends up with 2 pythons and there may be some confusion as to
which is further up or down the path and which binary is actually getting used, no?
Particularly for invoking scripts from the shell no? I, personally, would be confused
with this. Couldn't there be an option to remove Apple's or something? It wouldn't be
that hard to remove "our" python and reinstall the Apple one would it?

Play the Elvis® Scratch & Win for your chance to instantly win $10,000 Cash
- a 2003 Harley Davidson® Sportster® - 1 of 25,000 CD's - and more!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail_scratch_tl/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020801/index.asp?tc=7087