[Pythonmac-SIG] RE: [wxPython-mac] Python that ships with Jaguar vs...

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:02:00 +0200

On donderdag, september 12, 2002, at 12:48 , Kevin Altis wrote:

> Yep, /usr/local/bin is not part of the PATH and /usr/local/bin is where
> everything is installed. Since users won't have /usr/local/bin
> on their path
> by default should the location of pythonw... be changed to simplify
> installation or what is going to be the recommended change
> users have to
> make to their configuration so the framework build MachoPython
> gets used?

For the MacPython 2.3 [*] installer there are three solutions, I think:
1. Slam our "python" and "pythonw" into /usr/bin, overwriting
Apple's python.
2. Put our "python" and "pythonw" in /usr/local/bin, and
(optionally?) modify ~/Library/Preferences/Environ (or whereever
it was again).
3. Don't install the scripts at all initially, and provide a way
to install them later.

I think 1 is out, really. Anyone disagree?

2 is possible, but I think 3 is nicer. There's "prior art" too:
bbedit works this way (although I think we should implement
things differently). 3 has the advantage that people can give
MacPython a try, throw it away and have a normal system again.
Also, with option 3 we can give the "Install Python Unix Tools"
applet (or IDE extension, or something else) a GUI and give the
option of /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin install, explain about
possibly having to log out, etc.

[*] Note I'm starting to try and get used to the new naming
convention: MacPython 2.3 is the successor to MachoPython 2.2,
and the successor to MacPython 2.2 is MacPython-OS9 2.3. It does
take some mental gymnastics, however:-)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -