[Pythonmac-SIG] Need help with AppleEvent bug

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:00:05 +0200

Folks, I need help from some AppleScript gurus. Robin Siebler
posted bug http://www.python.org/sf/598981 which has to do with
a get() call to CodeWarrior to get the data of the frontmost
window returning None. Bill Fancher suggested that this might
have to do with Python not supporting the cText AppleScript
type, but that would have shown up differently: you would have
gotten a return value, but of type aetypes.Unknown('ctxt', 'raw
data').

I ran the thing under the debugger, and it turns out the reply
AppleEvent from AESend() indeed doesn't have a '----' parameter,
and it doesn't have an 'errn' error code either. So, returning
None is the right thing to do. But the corresponding AppleScript
works fine...

Now I very vaguely remember something about there being a second
protocol for sending replies to AppleEvents (maybe for long
replies >= 32K? I don't remember... And maybe I'm completely
confused with something else, like the funny CGI protocol with
AppleScript) but I can't find anything after looking through the
documentation.

So, to sum it up, I'm out of my water and need a bit of help.
The bug report has everything you need to reproduce this.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -