[Pythonmac-SIG] Requesting a port?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:00:57 +0200

On dinsdag, september 10, 2002, at 08:54 , Robin Siebler wrote:

> How do you request to get something ported to the Mac (assuming
> that the author of the program doesn't have a Mac)?  I just
> stumbled across a Midnight Command clone that is written in
> Python.  When I try to run it on the Mac, I get the following
> error: 'Bus Error'.  I don't know what this means, but I assume
> this is some Mac specific problem.  The program is called lfm
> and can be found here:
> http://www.terra.es/personal7/inigoserna/lfm

Having only had a quick glance at the web page my guess is that
the problem is curses. lfm uses curses, and the curses supported
by MacOSX isn't good enough for the Python curses module. (On
MacOS9 there is no such thing as curses, and I think that on
Jaguar there may be a good enough version, ncurses, but I'm not
100% sure).

I still don't understand why it would crash Python with a bus
error, though...
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -