[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's do it completely different!

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:23:40 +0200

On woensdag, oktober 23, 2002, at 09:20 , Alexandre Parenteau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let me point out something, and I don't really answer that to
> bill, but in
> relation to the thread : we don't have to deal or worry with Apple's
> installation of python. Python is not a critical, or even Apple
> component
> for Apple. Whatever we'll find useful, they'll probably use.
>
> So augmenting the so called "Apple installation" has no appeal
> for me. I
> would rather have *one* installation, which can extend beyond
> the command
> line. And Apple will probably use it.

I think you're probably right. I definitely *hope* you're right.
But Apple is about 9 months behind us (for good reasons). This
means that if Python 2.3 is released around March 2003 it will
not be until early 2004 before all the goodies you have *RIGHT
NOW* if you build from CVS are going to be out to the general
public. And I think there's a window right now in which the
leader of the pack in OSX scripting languages is going to be
chosen. And I want that language to be Python, not RealBasic or
Tcl or Perl or whatever else. If we could start with MacPython
alfas around december we could have something stable out there
much sooner.

> I was quite happy with the current direction, so I fail to
> understand why
> Frameworks are not good anymore (independently of really needing it for
> embedding). Keeping the nice integration to the mac is the
> critical point, I
> would argue, and whether we use frameworks or dylib is not
> relevant to me.
> But whatever replaces the current scheme has to be better for
> applets, IDE
> and other mac specific goodies in my mind.

In the long run: yes. In the short run I'd like to keep options open.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -