[Pythonmac-SIG] Using MachoPython with MySQL and Apache

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:07:09 -0700

I'm trying to switch from serving databases on MacOS 9 with FileMaker
Pro to serving via MySQL on MacOS X (partly as a useful skill and
partly because I'm pissed at the FileMaker folks for intentionally
crippling their server in the affordable version). I was wondering if
there are any recommendations or gotchas. I've got apache, MySQL,
myPHPAdmin and PHP all running, but I'd much rather use Python than
PHP if possible!

I have two needs:
- Get data from text files (it's a database of measurement data, and
I receive the data in text files) into my database. Python looks like
a clear winner for that, if the Python/MySQL interface is in good
shape (there's a note on sourceforge that claims it builds on MacOS
X, but I've not yet tried it).
- Serve data from the database. I like the way PHP integrates with
apache without the need for CGIs and was wondering if something like
that exists for Python?
- Should I be using ZOPE instead of apache and MySQL?

All opinions and advice most welcome.

-- Russell