[Pythonmac-SIG] how to eliminate the extra dock icons

Seth Delackner seth@jtan.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:54:22 -0400

I haven't tried this, and maybe this has already been fixed, but I think
that I have figured out how to make the dock icon go away for the interpreter
so that it doesn't spastically spew dock icons as it loads scripts.

See http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/PropertyListKeys/Bundle_Keys.html

and in particular, the end of the page:

LSUIElement

If this key is set to "1", Launch Services runs the application as a user interface element. User interface elements do not appear in the Dock or in the Force Quit window. Although they typically run as background applications, they can come to the foreground to present a user interface if desired. A click on a window belonging to a user interface element brings that application forward to handle events.

The Dock and loginwindow are two applications that run as user interface elements.