[Pythonmac-SIG] MachoPython 2.2.2 build works; 3 minorquestions

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 14:06:32 -0800

Russell E Owen wrote:

> I also tried this. It did work, but unfortunately it worked exactly
> the same as python itself: one cannot bring Tk windows to the front.

This brings up a question I've had for along time:

Why is this a issue at all? On Unixes with X, you can start a program
from anywhere, and if it needs X, it uses X, if it doesn't it doesn't.
You can start it from a command line, or from another program, it makes
no difference. All any program needs is stdin and stdout, and those
don't actually have to display anything.

Even on Windows, the only difference between python and pythonw is that
pythonw doesn't bring up a terminal window. python will still run the
program just fine (and if you want to see stdout, having the terminal
window is just fine.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov