[Pythonmac-SIG] PythonCard codeEditor on OS X

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 20:31:06 -0700

Some of you have probably already seen that I updated PythonCard (in cvs)
today for some of the recent changes in the wxPython Mac preview. I'm
forwarding the message below since I brought up the issue of a free or
low-cost Python editor to use on the Mac previously. After that exchange and
a week of not being thrilled with the Python support in BBEdit, I ended up
writing an editor for PythonCard. We were eventually going to write an
editor and since the first version only took me about 15 minutes, it seemed
like a good weekend project. The wiki page about the editor is at:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/PythonCardEditor

This isn't a replacement for BBEdit, but a number of PythonCard users and
developers are using it (it is good to eat your own dog food ;-) Since it
has a shell, is extensible via Scriptlets, can do syntax checks, syntax
coloring, auto-indents correctly, etc. it is actually better than some other
editors not tuned to Python. Plus it is free with full source (in Python)
and will be improved and integrated with other parts of PythonCard this
summer. I've been on vacation most of this month, but in the next week or so
I will be tweaking the editor for any Mac OS X specific issues that crop up.

Feedback, bug reports, abuse, whatever, should be directed to me directly or
the PythonCard mailing list.

Enjoy,

ka