[Pythonmac-SIG] New Python IDE for OS X

Donovan Preston dp@ulaluma.com
Sat, 11 May 2002 16:18:22 -0700

On Saturday, May 11, 2002, at 12:09 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> I'm 99% sure that it does run *natively* in OS X.  The caveat is that
> it's developed using a bunch of CodeWarrior/Carbon specific stuff and
> doesn't look like it's going to make it into machopython anytime soon
> (possibly anytime at all).

The MacPython IDE runs just fine under Mach-O Python. Basically, it just
involves taking the Python.app and sticking PythonIDE.py in it and
renaming it to __main__.py. Of course it's not as simple as that, you
need to make sure all your dependencies are in place, but I could whip
up a quick step-by-step HOWTO.

BTW, the dependencies are WASTE (There's instructions for building WASTE
in the Mac/OSX/README I believe), making sure Mac/Tools/IDE is on your
path, and making sure that python.rsrc is in the bundle's
Contents/Resources (I think it's python.rsrc, it might be one of the
other rsrc files)

When I find some time I'll write some step-by-step instructions for
checking out from CVS and getting MacPython IDE running.

Donovan