[Pythonmac-SIG] Compiling cx_Oracle for OS X

SNYDER, BARRON F (AIT) bs1535@sbc.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 21:10:28 -0400

Well, compiling this for OS X may be a waste of time since I can't seem to
find an Oracle client for OS X... Kinda funny since I believe Larry Ellison
is on Apple's board.

However, regarding the compiling, the download contains a setup.py file. If
I run this (python setup.py install), might it compile and install itself? I
tried it, but without an Oracle client installed (need an ORACLE_HOME), it
errored out. But is this the general idea of setup.py?

If anybody knows of a way to connect to an Oracle database from OS X, please
send a few hints my way.

Thanks,
Barron

-----Original Message-----
From: SNYDER, BARRON F (AIT)
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 7:20 PM
To: pythonmac-sig@python.org
Subject: [Pythonmac-SIG] Compiling cx_Oracle for OS X

Hello,

I'd like to access a database (specifically Oracle) from my Python code and
found cx_Oracle through the Vaults of Parnassus:
http://www.computronix.com/utilities/

They don't offer a package for OS X (surprise, surprise) but one can
download the source:
http://www.computronix.com/download/cx_Oracle-2.4.tar.gz

How hard would this be to compile for OS X? There is no visual interface for
this which I think would make the port much easier. If it's not too hard,
would someone tell me the basic steps (or point me to a quick tutorial)?

Thanks,
Barron