[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: BBEdit questions (Russell E Owen)

Ryan Wilcox ryanwilcox@mac.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 21:09:58 -0400

On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 4:19 PM, Chris.Barker@noaa.gov (Chris
Barker) wrote:

>Russell E Owen wrote:

[snip]

>-re-define the tab to key to mean: indent this line "correctly" This
>would match the previous line in most cases, and add a level of
>indentation if you were starting a new block. In Python, a new block is
>started after a colon, and in other languages it is defined in various
>other ways.
>
>-re-define the delete key to mean: detent this line one level

Hate to beat a dead horse, but BBEdit KINDA has this feature. It's call
'Shift Left/Shift Right'. I think it's Cmd-[ by default... but I've done
so much customization in all of the Bare Bones programs that I don't
truely know any more.

HOWEVER, there's a bad side to that... it will translate your spaces to
tabs while it does it. A feature, AND a bug, in my mind.

So, what it does is first entab your spaces, then shift it over one tab.

>How is this kind of customisation done in BBEDit? is there some sort of
>nifty Macro language so that we could do this ourselves? or are all
>these features hard-coded into the main source, so that Bare Bones has
>to do it?

Now, this is interesting. Mailsmith 1.5 (Bare Bone's EXCELLENT mail program=
)
allows you to attach Applescripts to menu commands. If you place a
script named "File=80New" in the 'Menu Scripts' folder, that script will
get ran when you select File->New.

However, I don't see this 'Menu Scripts' folder for BBEdit 6.5.1.

Although, if it's in Mailsmith, I would assume it coming in BBEdit also.

But BBEdit is amazingly AppleScriptable. You can put scripts in a
'Scripts' folder to have them show up in a special "script" menu. And
you can assign command keys to them... so KINDA a work-around the lack
of attachability.

>> It makes no logical sense for both Wrap Around and Only Search
>> Selection to be turned on; you can't wrap around the selected text.

Then change it. Select or Deselect the checkboxes you want set, then
press "Don't Find". This will save your settings, but not do the actual
find.

>comment/uncomment region

Tools->Un/Comment will put comment characters for any language you have
- or characters that you specifically define.

HTH,
-Ryan
PGP: 0x2F4E9C31