[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython in Carbon?

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 08:21:35 -0700

> From: Daniel T.
>
> I prefer using MacPython rather than MachoPython, but I really want
> to play with GUI stuff on my OS X box. Is it possible to use wxPython
> for this? What is the best way for me to go? Must I break down and
> use MachoPython in a terminal window?

Jack said that MacPython and MachoPython can co-exist.

You can use MachoPython from a terminal window, but you don't have to. If
you install MachoPython and the wxPython Mac preview available at

then you can install the MachoPython package and then the wxPython package.
The wxPython-mac mailing list is probably the best place to check for daily
changes or updates:

If you use Get Info to associate
/Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python with .py and .pyw files then
you can double-click those scripts in the Finder. Output will go to the
Console.

On my system I made an alias in the Terminal (the pym is not significant,
you can use another short-cut name)

alias pym /Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python

So when I'm testing scripts I just cd (change directory) to the directory
the script is in and can simply type pym followed by the name of the script:

pym minimal.py

You do not need to have a #! line in your script or make the script
executable with chmod if you launch with
/Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python

There are other ways to run scripts, in fact, knowing which Python and
Python wrapper/framework to launch in what context can definitely be
confusing. A complete list would be beneficial. I'm definitely at the "I got
it to work and I'm not messing with it." stage. ;-)

I started a few wikis to cover installation, bugs, and other issues. It will
be beneficial if someone with more OS X experience than I updates the
installation instructions and provides better getting started instructions
(maybe a new section after installation?). A portion of the wiki once it is
in better shape would be appropriate for a FAQ page on this stuff. I suspect
this is going to come up a lot.

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/wxPythonMac

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/MachoPython

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/PythonCardOnMac