[wxPython-mac] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Wanted: working example of CFBundleTypeRole Shell

Torsten Sadowski moehl@akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:09:27 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Chris Barker wrote:

> Personally, I've always thought this was a fundemental flaw in the MacOS
> paradime: the one-to-one file-application association. While it makes
> sense for applications with propriatary formats like a MS Word adn the
> like, it never has fit well with how I work. More often than not a file
> contians data, and I might want to work with that data in any number of
> applications. Or, as in this case, the file is a script, so it might be
> either edited or run (and could well be editied in more than one

snip!

In my opinion is the Mac the only machine without a one-to-one
file-application association. Every Mac-File has a TYPE and a CREATOR. And
all programs who can deal with a certain type should be able to open that
file. If you click on a file the prgram with the same creator will be
opened. In the case of python, where all files are textfiles, the type
should be TEXT and the creator should give the program you want. If I'm
not completely mistaken this is already the case. There are different
creators for the IDE and for python, so why not a third creator for
wxwindows? The Mac doesn't care for fileendings at all.

Regards, Torsten

P.S. Is there already a wxpython for classic MacOS to try?