[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Added platform-specific directories to sys.path

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
20 Jul 2002 02:06:51 +0200

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> writes:

> I sympathize with the idea of making things more conform to the
> platform standard, on the other hand I'm a bit reluctant to do things
> differently again from what other Pythons do. But, one of the things
> that is sorely missing from Python is a standard place to install
> per-user extension modules, so this might well be the thing that
> triggers inclusion of such functionality into the grand scheme of
> things (including distutils support, etc).

If that is the platform convention, I see no problem following
it. Windows already does things differently from Unix, by using the
registry to compute sys.path.

Regards,
Martin