[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac and unix pathnames

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:02:48 +0100

Folks,
I started implementing the changes to macfs.FSRef() and FSSpec() and the
as_pathname() methods to allow an optional parameter (either "mac" or
"unix") to specify which style pathnames you want, but the more I think
about it the more I think this isn't the right solution after all. [*]

I think we should simply always use "native" pathnames, i.e.
colon-separated pathnames in MacPython and unix-pathnames in
MachoPython. All the use-cases for "other" pathnames I could think of
are really a question of sloppy programming to begin with. If you
disagree and can come up with valid (and common) use cases let me know.
If the use cases are not all that common I think I prefer to add a
special Python module that will do the conversion in stead of bogging
down the core with it.

[*] Read: implementing it turned out to be more difficult than
expected:-)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -