[Pythonmac-SIG] Python RAD tools

Adam Eijdenberg adam@switchedonsoftware.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:39:54 +1100

>> That looks a fine module, but it is approaching the problem from the
>> opposite end of where I'm coming from. I don't want a Python program
>> with native tie-ins, I want a native program that happens to use
>> Python as a scripting language. Probably only just a philosophical
>> difference, but hopefully it will become clearer as I progress a bit
>> further.
>
> I understand what you are saying. However, I don't really think it's
> all that different from what you are trying to achieve. The advantages
> of using the Python interpreter as the application's main binary and
> performing all OS-level API access using wrapped Python modules are
> many. You don't have to deal with memory management, and you can write
> your application in a much more dynamic fashion. The speed you gain by
> going with a straight-c application which calls out to Python
> occasionally is negligible.

I'm not going for speed, I'm trying to target a lower-end user. You and
I and probably most people on this list are developers. We can write
programs from scratch in Python/C/Java/whatever takes our fancy.
Although what I've done so far doesn't make the context clear, I want an
environment where programming isn't the main emphasis. To reiterate, my
eventual goal is to make a frontend for databases. Look at the scripting
in FileMaker if you have it. Non programmers can write scripts in this.
Programmers are frustrated by it. I want Python to achieve the middle
ground within my application. If I manage to provide similar
functionality in my final app (with preset "wizards" (in MS terminology)
for common actions like in Access) then I feel I achieved something.

Perhaps I chose an inappropriate title for this thread. For "real"
programmers you probably are better off starting from scratch using
modules such as your own or PythonCard. For a gentler introduction to
programming, I think it would be nice not to have code as the central
emphasis.

Adam