[Pythonmac-SIG] Carbon MacPython 2.3 - An idea

Kevin Ollivier kevino@tulane.edu
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:20:43 -0500

Hi everyone,

Regarding the Carbonization of MacPython 2.3, I personally think it is a
good idea. After all, the number of people using Mac 9.x and OS X is
growing and will continue to grow, and for that reason I feel those
audiences should be the primary focus for future development. Does
anyone know if it would be realistic to consider using IDLE as the
console shell for OS X now that Apple has ported TCL/TK?

However, I think it is also important to discuss and see if we can find
a compromise for those wanting to support older versions of the Mac OS.
I was wondering if it would be possible to "fork" the GUI code. That is,
leave an non-carbonated classic version of the GUI in the project so
that anyone that needed to support this environment could do so. It
would no longer be "supported", but neither would it be removed and
could still be improved and updated if some kind soul was inclined to do
so. =) How feasible is this idea? What does everyone think? Sorry if I'm
actually repeating someone's previous comments - I'm new to this group
and have just been following the discussion over the past couple days.
(I'm a rather new convert to the Mac universe, but I've been converted
to Python for awhile now!)

Kevin