[Pythonmac-SIG] Confused at the state of Python for OSX

Alexandre Parenteau aparente@adobe.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:09:40 -0800

> Is there really that much legacy code out there that won't port to mach-o?
> I'll admit that I have some, but it all uses non-Carbon aspects of the
> classic macos -- device manager calls mostly -- so I'm going to have to
> rewrite the whole thing. All of the other extensions I use are all
> originated on unix and were ported to the mac -- maintaining
> them should be easier on osx.

Agree, the comfort is obvious. Most of the components of Python originated
on Unix. All these components pretty much compile in a snap on OSX using the
GNU/Apple tools. Strangely all you have to do to port it to Mach-O is to
throw away all the specific code you added for Classic !

I wanted to point that even for components specific to Mac (which are not
GNU/Unix based), it is more and more easy to port to Mach-O as the tools get
better. I hope I made that clear in my mail.

Alex.

--
Alexandre Parenteau
Computer Scientist