[Pythonmac-SIG] First Experience, Unix Python vs. MacPython and Science

Steven Burr sburr@mac.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:43:59 -0700

--Apple-Mail-8--486582419

"Lizardo H. C. M. Nunes" wrote:

> I'm interested about using Python as a
> research tool, specially for number crushing. I hope you can help me
> providing pointers.

You should check out fink:  http://fink.sourceforge.net/

It automates downloading, patching, compiling and installing over 700
Unix packages, including python, numeric ("numpy") and scientificpython
("scipy").  There's also a numeric-atlas package, which "links against
optimized atlas BLAS/LAPACK."  I have no idea what that means, but
Johann Hibschman's post seemed to indicate it could be helpful.

Fink gives you a choice between two python "packages":  "python," which
links against the X11 tcl/tk libraries and therefore supports Tkinter,
and "python-nox," which doesn't include Tkinter support.  Both packages
include readline support.

One caveat:  The fink installation of python does not use the
--enable-frameworks option, so it doesn't include support for the Mac
Toolbox modules.

--
third from the bottom
http://www.adeq.state.az.us/lead/staff.html

--Apple-Mail-8--486582419

<excerpt>I'm interested about using Python as a

research tool, specially for number crushing. I hope you can help me

providing pointers.

</excerpt>

You should check out fink:  http://fink.sourceforge.net/

It automates downloading, patching, compiling and installing over 700
Unix packages, including python, numeric ("numpy") and
scientificpython ("scipy").  There's also a numeric-atlas package,
which "links against optimized atlas BLAS/LAPACK."  I have no idea
what that means, but Johann Hibschman's post seemed to indicate it
could be helpful.

Fink gives you a choice between two python "packages":  "python,"
which links against the X11 tcl/tk libraries and therefore supports
Tkinter, and "python-nox," which doesn't include Tkinter support.
Both packages include readline support.

One caveat:  The fink installation of python does not use the
--enable-frameworks option, so it doesn't include support for the Mac
Toolbox modules.

</color>--