[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating MacBinary files from python

Neil Mayhew niel_mayhew@mac.com
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:28:09 -0700

on 05/12/2002 1:05 PM, Chip Brown at chip@adobe.com wrote:

> My experimentation indicates that a Stuffit created zip file is a collection
> of MacBinary files, zipped up.

I think StuffIt uses a different compression algorithm from Zip.

> At worst, is there a darwin command line executable to do this?

I heard that recent versions of StuffIt Deluxe include a command-line tool.

I think there are also some wrapper classes in PowerPlant that allow you to
interact with the StuffIt Engine shared library. These, or the StuffIt SDK
itself, should enable you to produce a Python extension that interfaces to
the library. This should allow you to read and write archives at will, at
full native speed.

I'm not sure how it (Aladdin Expander) works on Windows, and whether it has
a separate dll.

If you don't need compatibility with StuffIt, hfspax is a useful tool:
<http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/hfspax>

--Neil