[Pythonmac-SIG] readline

Paul Berkowitz berkowit@silcom.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:04:42 -0800

On 11/30/02 8:20 PM, "Dan Wolfe" <dkwolfe@pacbell.net> wrote:

> If you want to use readline/SSL in your python scripts without any
> extra installs, I'm not sure that there's anything you can do as almost
> every workaround I've heard about requires an install.  Bill Bumgarner
> has a few hints and pointers on his rants pages about getting
> readline/SSL to work with the current install.... as well as some few
> other things you might be interested in.  In particular, look at the
> following pages:
>
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0100490/2002/10/16.html
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0100490/2002/09/25.html
>
> I haven't tested them but knowing Bill, they should work. ;-)

It does. Thanks you. I just installed it. It uses readline from Python 2.2.1
and installs it into the built-in Python 2.2 in OS 10.2 in an instant. Now I
can develop my Python segments in a more human manner before converting them
(or running them as .py files) in 'do shell script' in AppleScript and AS
Studio. This is great.

Now - where do I find out what to do with it? I see that my left and right
arrows work immediately in the Python interpreter but not the up-arrow. (Nor
does control-P, which I thought I read somewhere put the cursor up a line.)

Thanks for the links, Dan.

--
Paul Berkowitz