[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Which installer to use for MacPython-OSX?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:32:53 +0200

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 12:27 , Rudo Niemeijer wrote:

> At 12:00 -0400 19-08-2002, Jack Jansen wrote:
>> I could enable the folder selection option, but that would allow them
>> to install anywhere (meaning they could install in lots of locations
>> where stuff simply won't work).
>
> Basically I see nothing wrong in that.
[...]
> Within a mac model everything should work regardless of the
> installation directory.

Rudo,
these two remarks are in contradiction: there are exactly three
locations where the user can install Python so that it will work: /,
/Network or $HOME. All other locations will result in a non-functional
installation.

You shouldn't really think of these as locations, but more as answers
the the question "For whom do you want to instal the software?": for
everyone on the machine, for everyone on the network or for yourself
only.

> --
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -