[Pythonmac-SIG] Reorganize the Carbon package?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:57:23 +0200

On maandag, augustus 12, 2002, at 06:34 , Samuel Smith wrote:

>> 4. In addition to (3) we actually create a module
>> Carbon.Carbon that imports everything from every Carbon module
>> in the system. Advantage is that by using this module
>> everything is 100% compatible with the Apple documentation.
>> Disadvantage is that the namespace for this module is
>> mindbogglingly large. And, if you really need only one single
>> Carbon call you will still drag in all the extension modules,
>> etc.
>>
> I am just naive enough to wonder why the Carbon module can't be
> a hierarchical package of modules instead of just one module.
> That way one only needs import the parts needed.

This is the current situation, where you import Carbon.Win or
Carbon.Res. Or do you mean something different?

The "problem" with the current situation is that the Apple
documentation is moving away from the toolbox organization. I.e.
will a new Apple developer, someone who doesn't remember MacOS9,
know that ClearKeyboardFocus() is in Carbon.Ctl and not in
Carbon.Win?

http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -