[Pythonmac-SIG] Step-by-step howto for testing new Mach{ho}Python architecture

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 10:48:10 +0100

On 4/8/02 12:57 am, "Donovan Preston" <dp@ulaluma.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>=20
> I'm glad there is a significant amount of activity and interest in the
> latest Mach-O python features. Since there seem to be a significant numbe=
> of people attempting to use Mach-O python for the first time, and a few h=
ave
> encountered difficulties, I thought I'd write up a step-by-step howto
> incorporating a fink workaround and including instructions for getting
> WASTE. I posted it to my blog:
>=20
> http://www.ulaluma.com/pyx
>=20
> Please, let me know if you have problems following the instructions here =
and
> I will revise them.
>=20
> Donovan
>=20

Well, I'm back after a good nights sleep. Your HowTo page is very helpful
Donovan - thanks a lot.

Certainly, setting the PATH explicitly takes out the fink connection (and
the 'necessity' to change the LN to be /bin/ln).

It doesn=B9t get around the bus errors due to readline, so I had to keep the
commented lines in (384-386).

The plus side is that the IDE now works with the information provided on
adding the waste engine. Very nice it is too!

Course, now I need to try and figure out how to get the AdvancedEditor patc=
<http://www.strout.net/python/mac/> to work! :)

[[ Side note: the ln that is in /usr/local/bin (ie my gnu one) seems to wor=
the same as the fink version as reported by Jacob. ]]

One last thing - most of my python work is on solaris. I got there via
MacPython and really wanted to use the PythonIDE to edit scripts that were
going to be deployed on solaris. I tried to get MySQLdb running under the
MacPython (classic) installation so I could try my scripts out. No joy ther=
(this was using CodeWarrior a few years back).

That's the main reason that I got into the unix version of python on OSX, I
could use MySQLdb and others (through vim) and edit things locally, before
deploying on solaris - but I lost the PythonIDE ability.

Sorry for rambling, but if I wanted to get the PythonIDE to edit scripts fo=
unix modules - what's the best way of doing it?

I have just two other questions abut the FrameworkPython too (please shout
out if I've missed something obvious, and it's already documented);

1) Is there a 'terminal' version of it?
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python gives a bus
error;
Python 2.3a0 (#19, Aug  4 2002, 09:36:17)
[GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on darwin
Bus error

And finally!
2) how do you ensure that when you install a new module, it goes in the
right place? Ie, presumably,
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/

Honest - *big* thanks for the help so far!

Cheers,
Tone.
--=20
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140
A Zope list for UK HE/FE  http://www.fmcc.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/zope