[Pythonmac-SIG] Applet/compilation oddities?

Michael Dunn mdunn@cantares.on.ca
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:30:07 -0400

    Hi all.  I'm not sure how "Mac-only" this is, but I'd like to
better understand some "compilation" behaviour.  When I compile or
save as applet, WITHOUT optimization on, I get a file with, in one
particular case, about 700 bytes of data, and ~30K in the resource
fork.  This works great on the Mac, but is not portable bytecode!  If
I turn optimization ON, I get a 10K file -- no resource fork, and I'm
guessing IS portable.  Somewhat odd, but my main concern is that I
assumed the optimization would strip comments.  However, looking at
the file, I still see multi-line comments (not #comments), as well as
docstrings!  Is this odd, or what...?

thx
Michael