[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac OS X 10.1 build changes

Dan Wolfe wolfeman@apple.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:00:08 -0800

On Monday, November 12, 2001, at 03:04 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

>> a few things... Namely most people are running HFS+, have a limited
>> stack space, have an old ncurses version, etc.  Here's the recipe
>> that I
>> use to build it... note that I muck with the makefile vs using
>> environmentals... which have an annoying tendency to be forgotten
>> several days later.  The patches are for a) dylibs --> allow zlib to be
>> found, b) prevent ncurses from building.  I have not pulled the patches
>> for the thread redefine from the new 2.2 CVS repository (but it doesn't
>> hurt anyone), nor have I fixed the fcntl case problem yet (haven't
>> needed it - but it apparently it needs to be made part of the core
>> Python vs dynamcially loaded)... :-( These patches should probably make
>> it into Python 2.1.2....
>
> Please submit them to the sourceforge repository for inclusion in
> 2.1.2. Or,
> what would be even better: locate the corresponding fixes in the CVS
> repository and propse that these be included in 2.1.2. Andrew Kuchling
> is
> working on 2.1.2.

done.  Humm I'm not sure how people prefer to reference particular
patches but  this should be good enough to let Andrew know which patches
need to be included. (FYI, there are three patches - one for the source
patches, one for the makefile changes - which need to be converted to
configure changes and one for the readme....)

> All of the changes you're making are already in the CVS repository (or,
> at
> least, there are solutions for all the problems your patch solves), if
> I'm not
> mistaken, with one exception: your patch to recognize .dylib.

Nope it's in CVS... Bill Noon suggested it...

> I think a better solution here would be to simply set the extension for
> shared libraries to
> ".dylib" on OSX, in stead of the more common ".so". After all, they're
> really
> the same thing, and there are no .so's on OSX.
>
> What do you think?

Well, I just did a quick search of my drive and the only .so's that I
have other than Python are
	a) apache modules that came with the system and
	b) those unix packages that I've installed myself (readline, bzip,
expat).

While it's probably a great idea to use the ".dylib" extension for all
Mac OS X shared libraries, I'm not sure if I'm up to modifying all the
Unix packages that use .so's so that python or some other package looks
for for them can find them. ;-)  In other words, if we modified python
to handle only dylibs then we need to modify every other package to emit
dylibs so that python can find them.  And since both of them work, I'll
take the easy way out and just go for allowing both .so and .dylibs on
Mac OS X.  I think this is the reason that I think Fred didn't convert
the apache modules to .dylibs....

Bottom line only reason that I included this patch was that it allows
the system zlib dylib to be used and therefore my zlib tests don't
fail.  :-)

- Dan