[Pythonmac-SIG] Installer builder

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:37:31 +0100

Oh yes, one thing that would be really nice for the installer builder
for OSX: if you can build the installers so that they can install
either into the users home directory or (if the user has the right
permissions) into /. Or, in Apple parlance, into the user domain or
the local domain. The network domain may or may not be interesting
too, I'm not sure, but I think installers behave such that you get
that for free.

For building installers that install Python extensions there's still a
problem, but I don't think we can solve that (so give me hints if you
think we can): if an administrator installed Python into the local
domain and then a Mere Mortal User wants to install a private
extension package Python currently has no good way to deal with
this. Python packages are always installed into the Python tree. The
workaround would be to install into an almost-empty shadow copy of the
Python tree in the users home directory and tell the user to add the
relevant directories to their PYTHONPATH.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm