[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: good CVS/ssh client for Mac?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 26 May 2001 22:43:52 +0200

Recently, David Goodger <dgoodger@bigfoot.com> said:
> Jack,
>
> When you were about to move MacPython's CVS over to the Python's SourceForge
> project, you mentioned (on python-dev, I believe) that there is now a good
> CVS client for the Mac, that supports ssh and SourceForge access. Could you
> give me a link please? Thanks.

Well, good... Hmm. There's a Mac CVS client that talks ssh, so if you
need checkin privileges on SourceForge it's about your only option
(aside from lots of mumbojumbo with tunneling from MacCVS to
NitfyTelnet and other magic). This is the "MacCVS Pro" client, from
www.maccvs.org.

Aside from ssh support (and a more good-looking GUI) it is much worse
than MacCVS (from www.cvsgui.org): no support for .cvsignore, no
Internet Config support to set the right creator/type for files, a
strange and error-prone method for checking file modifications (based
on files being check out readonly with the mac-standard "ckid"
resource, and if you've edited the file there's really no way to find
out whether you've actually changed it short of checking it in), every
file is checked in separately (so mass changes result in massive
mailings to the cvs-checkins mailinglist) and lots of other little
gripes.

All in all I'd switch back to MacCVS today rather than tomorrow (even
the new version where they've ruined the GUI beyond all recognition:-)
if it wasn't for SSH support.