[Pythonmac-SIG] Embedding, SIOUX, and a double-apple menu

Jared Updike jaredu@its.caltech.edu
Fri, 25 May 2001 18:58:49 -0700 (PDT)

I have embedded python in a shared library (C, Codewarrior) that is loaded
by a numerical analysis/data acquistion program called Igor. But I think
the normal way of doing this creates a (SIOUX?) window called Igor PPC
3.16B01.out (where Igor PPC 3.16B01 is the name of the program) and AN
EXTRA APPLE MENU (and File Edit, etc)! when Igor loads its shared library
extensions. This is bad, as it causes the system to hang when I include my
shared library in the extensions that get loaded, and I need the
functionally of my SL-extenstion in Igor. Is there a better way to do
this:

- Embed Python in a shared library without creating an output SIOUX
window? (I guess the assumption is that if anything in Python goes wrong,
I redirect the tracebacks myself). If it is possible/recommendable then
how do I change my project to do so? (assuming the project is similar to
demo "embed" project). What files does Python.h actually need to work? And
is SIOUX an explanation for this behavior (the extra apple menu/output
window...) or is something else messed up...?

Thanks
--Jared

Web: http://waffles.caltech.edu
Phone: (626)395-1155