[Pythonmac-SIG] Guide to installing Unix-Python on MacOS X

Tony Lownds tony@adam12.metanet.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 19:44:19 -0700

At 5:37 PM -0700 5/21/01, Bob Savage wrote:

>zlib.so
>
>Do you know what enabled that?

Hmm, that was included automatically by configure. The current file
on my server was the second make-from-scratch; at that point zlib was
installed, as PIL needed it.

>[3] I think it is a minor thing, but your method ended up with lots of
>".pyc" and ".pyo" files. I know the reason I don't have the ".pyc" files is
>because I didn't run all of the tests (I blew it offer after the regex test
>failed -- I'll include the workaround that was mentioned earlier on the list
>next time I revise the guide).

Part of make install actually goes out to the Lib directory and
systematically compiles each .py file into .pyc and .pyo files.

>But I am unclear on what creates a ".pyo"
>file. The Beazley book says they are only used if the interpreter is run
>with the "-o" option.

They are made whenever python is in -O mode just like .pyc files.

>I'm also going to put the URL to your website at the top, because aside from
>the ease of simply installing the work you already did, you also have PIL
>and you mention XML (there doesn't seem to be any difference in the XML
>directories, so I assume this means it is literally "built-in" to the
>executable?)

Yep, it is truly built-in.

>Let me know if you would prefer not to be linked before I do it
>and you have scores of Python / Mac fans overwhelming your server!

Go ahead.... if the bandwidth requirements ever jump beyond what I
can handle I can move the binary to sourceforge.

-Tony