[Pythonmac-SIG] Guide to installing Unix-Python on MacOS X

Tony Lownds tony@adam12.metanet.com
Sun, 20 May 2001 13:12:55 -0700

At 12:13 AM -0700 5/19/01, Bob Savage wrote:
>First, after you edit the readline bit in Modules/Setup, do you type "make"
>again? I did it that way and it seemed to work, but I was wondering if the
>first make (see below) was mistakenly added, or if the final make was
>supposed to be "make install" (which I did as well). Unfortunately I don't
>know how to use "make" so I'm reduced to blindly typing in the commands I'm
>told to type like some kind of trained monkey. :|

Yep, I typed "make" twice, on purpose. Actually (as someone pointed
out in pvt. email) if you install readline before compiling python
the readline module will be made automatically.

Typing make the first time will make python and all the modules it
can automatically. If you need to specify library locations before a
module will build then the README says to edit Modules/Setup and run
make again.

>Okay, question two: you don't mention running "setup.py install". I did a
>little experiment to see what the difference was between different ways of
>doing it.

FYI I actually did "sudo make install" to install.

>The difference between your binary and my install following your directions
>is the presence of PIL as you mentioned in your email, but there seems to be
>some additional things that "setup.py" gives you:

Interesting, I do have all of those files on my computer in the
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload folder. Where are those
additional files? If you did ls -R /the duplicates may come from the
build process, in the  Python2.1/build/lib.<platform>/ directory.

-Tony