[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing Carbon MacPython problems

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 17 May 2001 21:44:56 +0200

Recently, tom smith <tom@othermedia.com> said:
> Hi
>
> I just tried installing 2.1 (not on the root volume) and the
> ConfigureCarbonThingy booted up and crashed. I tried to run it again and it
> crashed again.
>
> So I then trashed any prefs in ~Library/Prefs/Python and
> /Library/Prefs/Python and installed again...
>
> But this time the IDE didn't get installed. Only two thirds of the bits I
> need got installed.

The IDE doesn't get installed until you run ConfigurePythonCarbon. So,
after the second install (where the automatic execution of
ConfigurePythonCarbon again failed, I assume) you should again run
ConfigurePythonCarbon.

If this fails again I would be very interested in seeing your Apple
System Profiler output. The other thing I would like to know is
whether you have a multiprocessor. There's one other person who has
the problem that ConfigurePythonCarbon always fails, and my current
guess is that the Python I/O library somehow breaks on an OSX
multiprocessor. Oh yes, I would also like an "ls -l
/Library/CFMSupport" output from a terminal window.