[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython, tkinter & other GUIs

Chris chrisl@fone.net
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:04:29 -0700

I am not a developer and only have used Python for small utility
programs to date. I have tried tkinter, but the coding is awkward, it is
buggy and has limited graphics. I have looked into wxPython by watching
the discussions on their mailing list, and it seems to me that wxPython
experiences some of the same problems as tkinter, not to mention that
the whole focus of that gui tool kit is towards Windows machines. I
found little support for Mac and *nix. Out of despiration, I have tried
jython (formly jPython) and have experienced some success.

With this being said, is it possible to use Java as a crossplatform gui
for MacPython? There are already Python modules for Windows and Solaris.
Java's gui toolkit is quite mature. There are also many additions, like
swing that extend the gui even further. There are also many RAD
development programs that build Java guis. Some of them are freeware or
opensource. Java operates consistently across all three platforms I work
on. There is no special code adjustment. The Java gui also has native
look-and-feel capabilities and features very similar to Mac, like
drag-and-drop.

It would be nice if somebody could compile a module for MacPython to
interface with Java. I would if I had the knowledge and I would even be
willing to help if someone would point me in the right direction.

Chris Lumsargis